Tuesday 16 August 2011

Day Zero, a new world spliced together.

I have a new group to play games with and I've volunteered to run the first sessions. After asking the group, it game down to low fantasy or cosmic horror. Since I'm rather taken with Dungeons & Dragons 4e Essentials it's that I'm planning to run. I'm hoping another in the group might run Cthulhu.

I really enjoy 4e, both as a player since it gives everyone something to do and has plenty of options, and as DM as the tools allow for fast adventure creation. Essentials is simpler than standard, or should that be advanced 4e and given that some of the players may have no table top experience, for now it suits the group. Best of all, essentials converts to advanced 4e easily.

I've recently re-read both the Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories and second Chronicles of Conan omnibus, so low fantasy has been very much in the forefront of my genre headspace. One of the group is a new found fan of the Song of Ice and Fire series, and loves Dragon Age CRPG which both have a more pseudo medieval feel but none the less fit. Perhaps I should send him off to the Green Ronin website. I've always very much liked Jack Vance although instead of stealing so much from Dying Earth I'll take this time from Lyonesse and it's faerie realm.

So I've got my sources - low fantasy, pseudo medieval, the 4e D&D default setting, with decent pinch of old school D&D and faerie. And let's not forgot Conan with it's cosmic horror elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment